Kevin A. Phillip
Kevin A. Phillip is an Executive Director in the Cayman office. His fund governance experience spans the gamut of fund strategies including Long/Short equity, Greek shipping, Private Equity, Global Real Estate, Asset-backed Securities, including Mortgage-backed Securities, Commodity, Currency, Agriculture and Healthcare funds.
Kevin has extensive experience supervising the governance of hedge funds and providing guidance on accounting, regulatory, legal and financial issues. He also has significant audit experience focusing on large international financial institutions, domestic and offshore hedge funds and mutual funds.
At DMS, Kevin leads the International Tax and Compliance team in addition to providing guidance and independent oversight to boards to ensure governance, regulatory and compliance requirements.
Formerly, he worked as an auditor with Ernst & Young in New York and the Cayman Islands, focusing on large international financial institutions, domestic and offshore hedge funds and U.S. mutual funds. His hedge fund client base had assets in excess of US$12 billion under management.
- Representing various private investment funds investing in real estate and real estate-related assets in the U.S., sponsored by one of the largest asset and managers in the world, with assets under management of $1.7 trillion.
- Representing various funds employing a strategies of acquisition, development, repositioning, refurbishment and active management of real estate and real estate-related investments across Europe, as well as investing in European non-performing loans and other credit related securities.
- Representing an investment fund investing in a diversified portfolio of Vietnamese-related securities such as debt, equity and fixed income securities of listed and unlisted companies.
- Representing a fund investing in long/short equity primarily in the real estate sector, sponsored by value-oriented hedge fund manager with approximately $3.2 billion assets under management.
- Representing hedge funds focused on an equity long/short strategy and investing primarily in individual equities in Asia.
- Representing fund-of-hedge fund structures investing with various portfolio managers employing diverse strategies including long/short equity strategies and event-driven strategies.
- Representing funds investing in broadly syndicated loans of collateralized loan obligation issuers of a leading credit and special situations platform, managed by leading global investment private investment firm with over $70 billion assets under management.
- Representing a private investment fund employing arbitrage and relative value strategy, investing in public equity, fixed income, and alternative investments markets across the globe and sponsored by leading asset manager with approximately $6.1 billion assets under management.
- Representing multi-strategy distressed and event driven private investment fund investing in various types of instruments and obligations including equity and debt securities, bank debt, trade debt, contractual and litigation claims and derivatives, sponsored by an established asset manager with $3B AUM.
- Representing funds that invest in various types of Stressed and distressed securities, including non-performing loans and bonds, trade claims and post-reorganization and public equities, sponsored by a leading asset manager with over $9 billion AUM
- Representing private investment funds investing substantially in publicly traded equities in the healthcare arena, including, but not limited to Managed Care organizations, hospitals, labs, healthcare information technology, pharmaceutical manufacturers, healthcare REITs, and food and drug retailers.
- Private Equity Funds
- Hedge Funds
- Fund of Funds
- Convertible Arbitrage
- Distressed Investment Funds
- Ernst & Young, Cayman Islands, 2005-2007
- Ernst & Young, New York, 2002-2005
- Member of the Cayman Islands Directors Association
- Accredited Director, Chartered Secretaries of Canada
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Approved Principal of entities registered with the National Futures Association
- CPA, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, New York, 2007
- University of Notre Dame, Master of Science degree, Accounting, 2003
- North Carolina Central University, Bachelor of Business Administration degree, Accounting & Finance, 2002
Kevin has been featured in selected publications below:
International Tax Compliance Update: CRS Readiness And Other Regulatory Challenges Ahead
Cayman. Moving finance forward.
Navigating The Complexities Of International Tax Compliance