John D’Agostino, Managing Director in the New York office, is one of the firm’s Fund Governance practice leaders, providing guidance and independent oversight to boards to ensure adherence to governance, regulatory and compliance requirements. His expertise is sophisticated private investment vehicles characterized by complex strategies and asset classes, notably derivatives, structured credit, direct lending, high frequency/quant and similar strategies. John also manages the firm’s institutional LP and regulatory relationships and works with large global pension funds and global regulators to share information and determine industry best practices.
Prior to joining DMS, John was a Managing Director of Alkeon Capital, a large New York based investment advisor. His responsibilities included fundamental investment research across industry sectors; global compliance and regulatory management; operations; risk management and marketing.
John previously worked with KPMG Consulting, where he was part of the firm’s global leadership for the Finance and Hedge Fund consulting groups. While at KPMG, he provided operational and strategic advisory services across a variety of industries, including: financial services, capital markets, derivatives risk and pricing, commodities (physical and derivatives, technology, ecommerce and retailers.
John began his career as Vice President and Head of Strategy with the New York Mercantile Exchange, where he helped transition the floor to electronic trading and was part of the leadership team building out the core systems to accommodate co-location, quant and HFT volumes. He also led the effort to develop the first Middle East energy derivatives exchange in partnership with the Dubai Government.
A cum laude graduate of Williams College, John received a Master’s degree in Business Administration from Harvard Business School, and he also studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford University. He has lectured at INSEAD University and guests lectures at MIT Sloan Business School and develops research notes with the MIT Media Lab around next generation, technology enabled trading strategies. John has been featured in two New York Times bestselling business titles, multiple periodicals and participated in numerous industry speaking engagements. John leads an asset management working group on Brexit at request of the UK Consul General in NY.
- Representing quant/HFT and Machine Learning trading strategies.
- Representing high distressed situations including valuation disputes for illiquid and complex assets.
- Representing long-short equity funds investing in the technology, media and telecommunications sector.
- Advising funds on cross trade and valuation issues in hard to value Level 3 assets.
- Representing various hedge funds investing in equity and equity linked securities, bonds and trade claims in emerging and frontier markets.
- Representing various fund-of-hedge fund structures investing with and seeding sub-managers across investment strategies with assets over $10 billion.
- Representing private equity funds on special committees to determine fairness in M&A and restructuring activity.
- Representing high frequency trading funds employing quant driven trading strategies across multiple asset classes and markets.
- Representing hedge fund structures investing primarily in fixed income relative value arbitrage and municipal security investment with assets over $4 billion.
- Representing fund structures primarily investing in futures and options market making and relative value strategies with assets over $4 billion.
- Representing multi-manager hedge funds investing in all strategies via a seed model with operational and portfolio risk oversight.
- Representing hedge fund structures investing primarily in distressed credit and event-driven strategies and sponsored by prominent activist investor.
- Advisory committee representation to investment funds in connection with affiliated transactions and other conflict matters.
- Advising private funds in the design and maintenance of compliance programs.
- Hedge funds
- Commodity Pools
- Private Equity
- Venture Capital Funds/Portfolio Companies
- Secondary Markets
- Fund of Funds
- Distressed investment funds
- Subject of the NY Times best selling business book “Rigged” by Ben Mezrich. Featured
in Reid Hoffman’s best selling business book “The Start up of You.”
- Profiled in numerous industry periodicals.
- Published white papers in coordination with MIT Sloan business school on
crowdfunding and crypto-currency.
- Alkeon Capital Management, Managing Director, 2012-2014
- KPMG Consulting, Managing Director, 2009-2011
- New York Mercantile Exchange, Vice President; Head of Strategy & Business Development,
- Guest Lecturer INSEAD University (prior)
- Guest lecturer MIT Sloan Business School
- Harvard Business School, Master in Business Administration – 2002-2002
- Oxford University –Politics, Philosophy and Economics, 1994-1995
- Williams College, Bachelor of Arts degree – 1993-1997